Sunday, April 23, 2017

Where The Mind Can Drift To



Psalm 139:23  "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts."

Philippians 4:4-7  " Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God,which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

      Anxiety is the work of the the devil and can keep us from knowing the work of God, the Prince of Peace, in our lives. 2 Timothy 1:7 says, "God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, of love, and a sound mind." "Every time you feel fear in your life, it is a manifestation of the kingdom of darkness. Fear is one of the ruling spirits."  God goes before us in everything but it is our duty to ask God to prepare our hearts and minds for what lies ahead of us.  Giving into fear can make you miss out on God's blessings that were meant for you.
       Genesis 12:1 "The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you."  What a reason for anxious thoughts, right?  Would you just trust and obey, even with direct words from God back then?  Genesis 12:4 "So Abram went, as the Lord had told him."  Abram obeyed because he trusted in God's promises in verses 2 and 3.."“I will make you into a great nation,  and I will bless you; I will make your name great,  and you will be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you,  and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth  will be blessed through you."
       As the caption illustrates, our anxious thoughts can take our minds down a whirlwind of possibilities.  The fear of the unknown can be debilitating.  What do we know in any and all situations.. 1]God is working for the good of all believers, 2] God is in control, 3] Our prayers are always heard, 4] God will sustain you, even if your worst fear comes to pass, and 5] Satan will tempt you to doubt God's plan for your life but God's word is our comfort and hope.
      As for myself... I've been scared at times, like everyone, but I try to keep my fear under control.  I've been in situations where I've been forced to wait on God to provide with no ability of my own to escape... like my scooter being stuck in the snow until neighbors came home, being laid out in the middle of the street face down with a broken nose from a fall until a driver stopped to help, or having to give up my life's path to the new one God had set before me.  My trust in God has never been a wrong decision, so why can't I be quicker to trust and obey?  Sanctification is a long road and sometimes my walk is slow with 3 steps forward and 2 steps back.
       May your anxious thoughts go first to our Wonderful Counselor, Comforter and Healer.  "We put down our burdens when we bring them to the Lord in prayer. The apostle Peter says, "Cast all your anxiety on [Jesus] because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7). Because He cares for us, we can rest and relax as we learn to trust Him. Instead of carrying the burdens that weigh us down and weary us, we can give them to the Lord and let Him carry them." [odb.org]

2 comments:

  1. We lack the faith (confidence) to move forward on many issues and instead do nothing, so where is our faith?
    The missionary William Carey said "attempt great things for Christ, and expect great things from him". Where have all the strong Christians gone? Good Blog DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,
    Another great blog! Relevant to everyone. As we go thru life we should learn to trust Him more because we know His faithfulness and help in the past. When we become fearful it is time to count your blessings and think upon good things.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete