Monday, June 7, 2021

Responsibility






Proverbs 22:6 


Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.




         One thing I believe is lacking in America today is responsibility.  What teaches a child into becoming an independent and purposeful adult is responsibility.  We have a responsibility in our actions, speech and attitudes.  "The greatest day in your life and mine is when we take total responsibility for our attitudes. That's the day we truly grow up." [J. Maxwell]  Who do we work for and have responsibility due to?  Colossians 3:23  "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters."   "We need to realize that in all things our first duty and responsibility is to God Himself." [H. Ironside]  We need to need to yield specifically to the Lord, forsake every doubtful aspect in our life, be willing to obey fully to God's will, and believe through prayer that He will flood our spirit with His power.

        "The more personal responsibility we take, the more in control we are and the more control we have, the more likely we will reach our goal as there will be no excuses to fall back on if we fail. Therefore, taking responsibility for our actions equals success."

      As a child, I was taught Galatians 6:5  "for each one should carry their own load."  I was not let out of household chores, because of some weakness clause.  After school, I remember folding clothes while watching "The Brady Bunch" and walking as fast as I could during commercials to get them put away before the show resumed.  Along with the clothes, beds also had to be made before my parents got home from work. 
         Responsibility was also taught on the weekends.  I was the riding lawnmower driver.  I was paid $10 to mow our entire 2.5 acres and you could find me mowing in my bathing suit  top and shorts with my headphones on.  If I wasn't mowing, I was pulling a trailer with brush from the yard or moving dirt with the blade on the front of the riding lawnmower.
          I was also taught about my responsibility to my Lord and Savior.  That my life was to serve and be an example for Him.  Yes, I failed Him but His forgiveness was also something I shared with others.  " Everything begins with the right priorities, and right priorities begin with God." [W. Kroll]
          As I grew older, these lessons on responsibility paid off.  It was only I who would finish numerous after hour labs in college, whether it be chemistry or checking on my fruit flies in genetics.  When I changed colleges between 3 states, I knew no one was going to figure it out for me if I was going to finish with a degree somewhere.  God led me, but I had to do the work.
          My attitude towards responsibility has always been that it was mine to finish in whatever I signed up for.  I don't believe in or partake in the blame game.  I was raised to be a doer and not as an excuser.  "The providence of God does not relieve us of human responsibility: it doesn't call for inactivity, it calls for activity."  [Alistair Begg]


13 comments:

  1. You're so right Angie! I'll be the first to admit I probably wasn't given as much responsibility as I should have been growing up. I was, however, expected to pull my weight. When I was young I was tasked with with washing dishes, vacuuming, and keeping my room neat. When I got older I was also expected to get a part time job to pay for my car, my own gas and to have spending money. My parents also made an effort to teach me how to do adult things like pay bills, balance checkbooks, etc. Seeing less and less of that these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Brittany for your comments. I hope you raise your daughter w/responsibility and expectations.
      I enjoyed reading your movie filled blogs. I love good recommendations. ;-]

      Delete
  2. Anna P.
    Love this, especially the examples from your life. My favorite line was "like some weakness clause". So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vera B.
    Wow. I love this blog. Every one with kids should read it. You amaze me how wise you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quote!! And the insight into your life growing up. Love you Angie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! Love you too, friend! See you soon.

      Delete
  5. Bob R.
    Thank you so much for the reminder of responsibility. It takes some much longer to accept that if ever. Also the reminder of Drosophila Melanogaster��/fruit fly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want every one of my grandchildren to read this post. What an encouragement to do what we should do, not just what we think is fun. Thank you for this! Everyone should read and heed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your parents must have been really tough on you, what a wonderful person you have become. Would do it the same way again!!! Love you Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EG Kelley
    Angie you are definitely heaven sent and you're such a blessing to me. All of your writings are exactly what I needed at the moment. Thank you so much.��

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen Mashburn
    Great article Angie Riffle Bridger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Benita Dover
    Angie you are a true encourager.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dad and mom are great examples of parents who loved their daughter so much that they did not allow anything to interfere with their godly training. What a testimony of God's richness in the lives of god fearing, loving parents. Thank them for me, although I have told them many times how much I appreciate them. They cannot hear it enough.

    ReplyDelete