Monday, June 21, 2021

Fear Isn't Part Of The Plan

 

Isaiah 41:10

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.      


         Today, I will discuss one type of fear.   The fear that comes from living in this dangerous world and the feeling of being alone, but we are not.  The verse above, Isaiah 41:10, comforts us and tells us how God is always here for us and with us.  'Do not be dismayed' reminds us not to get too frustrated, too alone, or too overwhelmed by what we face.  He is with us!  His strength helps us, like nothing in this world can provide!  Its indescribable and all-powerful!   This verse is "to silence the fears, and encourage the faith, of the servants of God in their distresses." [M. Henry]  For by suppressing our fears, He assures us... to fear not the enemy and doubt not the promises of God.  God is all-sufficient, even in our worst times.  "He will take us by the hand as our guide, to lead us in our way, will help us up when we are fallen or prevent our falls; when we are weak he will hold us up-wavering, he will fix us-trembling, he will encourage us, and so hold us by the right hand.[M. Henry]

          As a child, some of my fears were mine alone and weren't spoken of to anyone.  I knew my legs were weaker than others, just by the mere presence of my braces.  In elementary school in Stuttgart, I had to cross the ditch to get to school and the fear of falling led me to scope out the smoothest, different path each day.  God gave me confidence thru the Holy Spirit.  When I was in 6th grade at Sylvan Hills Elementary, God provided strength thru my new friend, Nita.  She knew it was hard for me to walk up the steep hill from recess to class, so she pulled me with her belt loop on her jeans.  Onto junior high, where stairs were now a part of my daily struggles and fears.  I was slower than slow, but that was better than a fall.  I knew God was with me and upholding me with His right hand.  The struggle wasn't over when school was out but now the bus trials called for strength and endurance.  My friend, Lily, helped me get my school books onboard because just getting myself on was a feat in itself.  So many times, a tumbling I went off the bus while books and a flute case went scattering.  My dog, Bosco,  waited patiently for me so we could climb and fall on the steep gravel driveway together.  Confidence was built not only in myself but in God's promise to 'be with me always'.

           As a teenager, my most difficult surgery yet was now to be faced.  Back surgery that involved placing 2 titanium rods along my spine and fusing them to my vertebrae.  This is where my trust in God was truly tested and God's promises were on the line.  Before I went back to surgery, I had no fear or obvious doubt but I reassured my Dad that 'It was going to be okay' and it was well with my soul.

          When we let fear rule our lives instead of faith, we get a life that isn't what God had planned for us.


2 comments:

  1. I often think about the verse that says that there is no fear in love, because perfect love casts out fear. Yet we are all fearful in some ways. But your testimony of overcoming fear I think is linked to you growing more and more in your understanding of His love for you. May He continue to foster that understanding in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you dearly, Angie, and your fearlessness is a great encouragement to this fear-prone saint.

    ReplyDelete