Friday, May 17, 2013

You're Special

peanuts



    Each one of us were made in Christ's image and that makes us each special in our own way.  It is a real heartache to me to see people think lowly of themselves and then surround themselves with people who add to that negativity.  It's a vicious cycle with no good end.  What we believe about ourselves will show thru in our attitudes, actions, and how we handle life itself.
    People have often asked me, 'what pushed you to do what you've done?'  I think the bottom line is expectations.  I didn't ever think of myself as any different than Sally or Suzy growing up.  Therefore, my self esteem didn't crutch itself with my physical limitations.  There is only one 'Angie' to make the life she wants so no one will ever steal that confidence or leave a negative vibe that sustains.
    What are some keys to self esteem?  Surround yourself with positive friends and environments.  Think less of what others opinions are and rely more on your own moral compass.  Accept compliments with grace.  Don't compare yourself with others.
   'Your best may not be the best, but if it's your best, then that's good enough.'  Ephesians 2;10  ''For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.''

5 comments:

  1. My daddy was a double amputee, and I never realized that he had a handicap. One day we were going to town, and there was a beggar with one arm walking down the road holding a tin can. I said, "Daddy, don't you want to stop and give him some money?" He said, "No, honey, he is what he has chosen to become." For the first time I realized that Daddy had overcome much and refused to give in to his "handicap." Thank you, Angie, for another great word for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog remindes me of Lou Holtz rules 1. Believe in yourself 2. Care about others. 3. Do what is right and 4. Be committed. Self Esteem is an attitude you have about yourself, you can turn it up or you can turn it down.
    I am grateful for your outlook on life, and more grateful for the eternal vision you have. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Gloria's dad had a physical handicap, my dad had a severe and disfiguring wound from WWII. He was left to die under a mosquito net and when he didn't, he was hospitalized for 23 months in hospitals all over Australia and the United States. Instead of being bitter, he was one of the happiest people you would ever have met...and one of the hardest working. He was thankful God spared his life and brought him home to his wife and allowed him to have a family. We always have a choice in adversity...to become better or to become bitter. I pray that I will be like my dad and to always become better....love you, T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting that so many of us (definitely including me) compare ourselves to others to measure our worth. But in Christ's family, it is not a competition, we are on the same side! And we should be able to rejoice in the gifts and abilities of others without feeling that we have been taken down a notch. If only knowing that made practicing it easier! Good to know our worth is in Christ and not in what we have done. We should only compare ourselves to the Lord, and then, having fallen short...we go to Him for mercy, accepting His merit. Yay for the cross! Thanks Angie!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could impress on my children (and myself) the importance of thinking less of what others opinions are and rely more on their (my) own moral compass. How many times have I or they not worn something or not done something because someone else had a negative word about it. Who cares??!! Comforting to know that my sufficiency is in Christ and not in the opinions of myself or others.

    ReplyDelete