Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What You See



tiny teacup pig


     We've all been there with something on our nose, mouth, teeth, etc.  We've also all probably seen the evidence on others and pondered whether to tell them.  'Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.'  Yes, tell them.. it should be a law.  Who hasn't been out and come home to discover some obvious embarrassment and thought 'why didn't anyone tell me?'
     What do you see most in people?  The flaws or the good qualities.  Colgate has a new ad out that proves people will notice something in your teeth before a physical deformity.  I looked at it myself and never even noticed the 7 fingered hand.
    Where is our focus on what we see and think of others?  Most people want to hide their weaknesses but it's not always possible.  Therefore, you embrace your weaknesses and they will make you stronger.  Our reactions to what we see as out of our norm says more about us than them.
     God cares more about the inside than the outside of each of us.  Is my body of 40-plus years and any physical hardware that helps me really going to matter in an eternal timespan?  No, but how you handle any suffering will.  So if anyone thinks more of your physical flaws than of you then they really don't know you at all.  It's their problem and loss, not yours.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked those last 2 sentences--so true.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite memories is of two little girls one day. One was interestedly staring at you, likely wondering why you were in a wheel chair. The other was completely ignoring you and trying her best to maneuver that electric wheel chair. She knew you and didn't think one bit about you being in that thing, only that her friend had a gadget that looked like fun.
    I love that! "Man sees on the outside, but God looks on the heart." Oh, to have the mind of Christ (or a little girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it our "flaws" that make us unique? If we were all "perfect" what a sad world this would be....we would not have our differences to love and appreciate. And when we see the inside (as Jesus always does), we see the beauty and the REAL person. Oh, to look past the exterior and to search for what God wants us to behold. My mother always said, "Beauty is only skin deep...it's what's inside that counts." Now, I must say, I do check the teeth, and these days the clothes (to be sure I have on matching shoes, no spills on the blouse, etc.) before I go out, but I hope now more than ever that those things would be overlooked! There is lots of truth in the statement, "Get to the heart of the matter." Oh, if we would all just seek to "get to the heart of the person." Love you, Angie....you are so special! T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog has enabled everyone that reads it to see the real you, no mechanical devices, just your heart. I wish everyone could get to know you and what a wonderful lady you are and they would see the love of Christ in you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, I had a lady 20+ years ago that passed a Kleenex around the room in Sunday school class for me to get the object off my nose. I was totally mortified. Had she discretely brought the kleenex over and given it to me I would probably have been much less embarrassed and more appreciative. That has stuck with me all this time. You are such a strong young lady. Maybe not physically but most certainly spiritually. I love you and appreciate you and your blog soo much. Love Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok. Funny and good food for thought. We do focus way too much on the exterior don't we?

    ReplyDelete