Thursday, January 3, 2013

Never Too Old

WhisperOfTheHeart


     Isn't it funny how our age can sometimes define us?  When we are young, we can't wait to grow up so we can do whatever we want to.  Then at some age point, we decide we are too old to do what we'd like to.  Do we think we are only useful during the peak years of our lives?
     A quote from one of my favorite movies is 'Get busy living or get busy dying.'  That is so true as we are not mere statues to be gazed upon. We have an intended purpose.  Jeremiah 1:7  ''But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.''
     In the quote above by C.S. Lewis, we are reminded to never give up on looking forward in life and to continue to improve ourselves.  We stay young by the renewing of ourselves and our minds.  Old, crotchety people are often defined as 'set in their ways' or 'they'll never change.'
     So if you want to keep living, you need to keep moving.  The race is worth running and just because you quit, doesn't mean it's over.  No matter what you think, the years before and after your peak are not bleak.

5 comments:

  1. Youth is wasted on the young people, we need their energy when we are older and know what to do with all of that energy. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This spoke to me today. A good message for the first week of a new year, truly!
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reminded of Romans 12:2--"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God." It is not God's will that we "rust" as we age, but that we continue on. Thanks for such a good reminder for the new year 2013l

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great advice for such days as these. After the flu we feel so old! It's time to get on with life again. Have a great day. Joel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't ever tell me "you can't do that" or "you're too old to do that"! Just makes me persevere all the more...and to prove that I can! I think a lot of today's worldly thoughts are that older people are useless and need to get on out of the way. Every time I see an elderly person who is in his/her final stages of life, I try to remember how valuable their life has been and how much they contributed to making someone's life better. Just because we are "old", does not mean you need to throw us away! Like George Jones' old song, "I don't need no rockin' chair"...yet...well, sometimes I enjoy one! Even then, I will keep working for the kingdom!! Love you, my friend, T.

    ReplyDelete