Sunday, January 13, 2013

Listen Up



you're too preoccupied with your own voice


     Our minds are often very forgetful and yet are very good at playing our own thoughts over and over. We do a good job at reaffirming ourselves, despite any contradiction. God doesn't speak to us like he did with those in the Bible but He does have His ways.  The Holy Spirit is one way and can guide us, if we listen.
     I think 'Yes, but' is often our response even when we do hear Him.  We want to do things in our own way, instead of His.  We think a little modification will still be within the boundaries but that's not true.  Cain thought his offering from the ground was close enough to what God asked for.  No, it had to be an offering that was a blood sacrifice and that's why Abel's offering was pleasing and acceptable to God.
     Go to the Scriptures to reaffirm your thoughts.  You could be right or you could be wrong, prove it to yourself.

7 comments:

  1. I am excellent at rehearsing things over and over in my mind, especially when I am upset and want to prove that I was right... In the Kay Arthur study that our ladies group did last fall, she kept saying God wants us to know the whole Bible. That's one reason why I started Ezekiel, a book I've never been drawn to. I'm hoping that if I stay with study, book by book, His thoughts will replace mine. I really need that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so amazing how God's Word never changes, even though our own minds change so often. That's one very good reason to listen to Him instead of ourselves! It seems it's much easier to "hear" many times than it is to "listen."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, you will never know how many hearts you are touching with your blog. May God bless you for the work you are doing in His kingdom. I love you, grace, in His grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the good word this morning. What a dreadful thing to be deceived by our thoughts; thinking that self approval is the same thing as God's approval. Have a great day. Joel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blog, it is always good to have a solid foundation to build on and that is what God's word provides, we need to listen. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. The closer we walk with Him, the more we hear His voice. I am so thankful for His word, and for the Holy Spirit. Great blog, Angie! Love you, T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good. I just finished a book on a false religion that masks itself as something near Christianity. But, when we seek to hear from God a word that is contrary to what is in His Word, beware!!

    ReplyDelete