Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It's a God Thing















    With so many people sick right now, I thought a blog post on one of the many times God has been there for me during an illness would be appropriate.  It confirms the three characteristics that He alone has... all-knowing, all powerful, and ever-present.
    When I was married, we lived in an apartment in Naperville, IL during 1994-95.  Sometime during that winter I got the stomach flu.  I've never had a case of it so bad and hope to never again.  I was home alone and went to our second bathroom off the kitchen.  I was sitting on the commode with my head on the vanity and feeling pretty awful.  Without knowing it, I passed out.  When I came to, everything looked strange and I didn't know where I was at.  I soon realized I was upside down in the bathtub and looking up at the under side of the tub's spout.  My shoe was caught on the corner of the vanity and I was still on the toilet.  Yes, both an uncomfortable and panic moment.  I can't remember exactly, but I think I wiggled my foot loose to get unstuck.  I'm still in the bathtub on my head.  My 'its a God thing' moment was that I used the shower curtain and rod to pull myself up and out of there.  We all know how flimsy those are so I know He gave both me and the curtain strength at the needed time.  I can also say 'its a God thing' that I didn't bust my head open during the fall.  After all this, I made it to the phone and Marc came home.  We spent the next few days suffering the virus together.
     We will suffer through sickness in this world but we are never alone.  He is there, He knows, and He provides the strength needed to get thru it.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, lady, you are one strong woman. Or maybe I should say, God is One strong Protector. What an amazing story. I have a friend who is battling cancer. He often prays, "Thank you, Lord, for all the things that could have happened to us but didn't." I love that...and the same is true here. He kept you from being seriously injured in that fall. I am so thankful for what didn't happen to you. Love you, T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another story you had not told me or have I forgotten? A friend of mine told his daughter that he would not always be there when she need him, but God would ALWAYS be there learn to depend on Him. I believe this is so true and I am glad HE was there for you that day. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an encouraging story! No doubt God showed up and helped you. We've also had a couple of moments like that but maybe not so clear cut. Thanks for sharing. I really like the other comments too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It never ceases to amaze me, first of all, that you are able to do the things that you do. And in this instance, I agree, that only a God who is THERE all the time and ABLE and UNDERSTANDS would be able to work such a work for you. I tend to get melancholy now and then, and stories like this are such and encouragement to me to stand [or sit/lie/dangle!:)] strong, knowing that we have a Heavenly Father who IS. Thanks, Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these stories....I'm amazed at your strong will, and your inner strength. God is a strong defense!

    ReplyDelete