Monday, October 22, 2012

Built For God



yes


''For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.''         2 Timothy 1;7

     I have said before that we should all realize that we were made by God for God.  So when I read this caption it made me consider, 'Am I doing what I was built for?'  Or am I playing it safe with no real impact in other's lives?
     We can consider our use of spiritual gifts. Whatever yours may be.. if you don't use it, it will decay.  The more we use it, the better we will become at it.  We can't let our fear of failure drive our intended purposes away.
      We can also consider our ways in which we spread the gospel.  Yes, I am on the shy side in person with strangers but my boldness comes out behind the keyboard.  We don't all have to share in the same way but it is important to share your faith in some way.
      What shall we fear with God on our side?  Embarrassment or looking foolish is probably at the center of it but it all boils down to pride.  Be a bold witness without getting on a soapbox.


      From Matthew Henry commentary,  'God hath delivered us from the spirit of fear, and hath given us the spirit of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. The spirit of power, or of courage and resolution to encounter difficulties and dangers;--the spirit of love to God, which will carry us through the opposition we may meet with..........the spirit of love to God will set us above the fear of man, and all the hurt that a man can do us;--and the spirit of a sound mind, or quietness of mind, a peaceable enjoyment of ourselves, for we are oftentimes discouraged in our way and work by the creatures of our own fancy and imagination, which a sober, solid, thinking mind would obviate, and would easily answer.'



3 comments:

  1. I think it's in the Chronicles of Narnia: God is good but He is not safe. I prefer the harbor but He does mean for us to be sailing the high seas at times, which means some stormy weather. I just don't ever think that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some Matthew Henry! Although I prefer the more gentle way of sharing the gospel, I have been on a soapbox once while doing some training in evangelism--a park bench in downtown Atlanta. And you know what? I enjoyed it! (Not that I necessarily want to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture...that has always been one of my favorites. So true....we are not meant to stay in our comfort zones, but to get out there and be an example and to minister to others. My brother and I visited about six of my mom and dad's cousins this weekend...all elderly and ill with cancer, altzeimer's, heart disease, etc. What a blessing was shared by all. I pray God will use me however He can....He has given us all special gifts and if we don't use them, we miss out on those blessings and we fail to give Him the glory. Love you, T.

    ReplyDelete