Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Way Back Wednesday......Stairs











      I've often thought that if I ever wrote an autobiography, I would title it ''It's Not Just Stairs.''  This stems from the fact that up until I had back surgery, I pretty much thought I could do anything any other kid could do.  Maybe not as fast or as well but nothing in my mind hindered my effort to try.  Then after surgery, negotiating stairs was a challenge that stopped me in my tracks.  I learned I had to have something to hold onto and if there wasn't a rail, I'd find another route.  Pride halted the mere thought of a cane or any other aide.  My thoughts back then were that I could manage with just stairs being my only hurdle to jump in life.  Pretty naive, you might say?
      I was raised with expectations not excuses.  A philosophy that all parents should embrace in their kids.  My parents knew life itself would set the limits for me and they didn't need to lower the bar of what was required of me.
     So now it's not just stairs as my only challenge in life but they are loaded down with other things.  I'm still climbing them despite all the junk in the way because of the solid foundation from which I was raised.  Thanks Mom and Dad.

5 comments:

  1. How sweet. You handle all of your challenges remarkably well. Thank you so much for your nice comments--it is a joy to have you as our child (grown woman now). This post almost got me misty. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder your mom "almost" got misty. Come now, Bobby, I can imagine a tear in your eye! What a precious post, and I want every one of my grandchildren to read it. In fact, I'm going to send it to the ones with emails. Your example is one that I want each of them to follow in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Character is developed by how one handles the challenges of life and boy have you had more than your share, and I am proud of how you handle them. I have never met a person who knew they were to be on this earth for a short time and looking past all the trials of our frail bodies than you. You remind me of Job and we all know that you are Heaven bound. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. From one invalid friend to another invalid friend - sent by a 74 yr. old lady with a frozen right shoulder and a bakers cist behind my left knee. It is so good that my Heavenly Father knows how to keep me balanced in my infirmities. My love to both of you. grace


    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto Wayne! You are one strong lady!! And also so blessed by the values that were instilled in you by both your sweet parents. As we grow older, those stairs are booger bears for all of us. You had to learn that early. James (with his recent knee replacement) still is not doing stairs well at all. So thankful God in His wisdom guided us to a house 36 years ago with no stairs...one He knew we would need in our old age. He is good all the time...and knows the plans He has for us....always!! Love you, T.

    ReplyDelete