Friday, July 6, 2012

Waiting

yes



     Do you think it's possible for any of us to really master patience?  I think I'm a patient person until something makes me impatient and then I'm back to ground zero.  Why are we in such a hurry?  We think we've got places to go, things to do and people to see.
     I can tell you every time I travel, I'm reminded why I'm not a traveler.  Oh I like to go to new places, it's the getting there that drains my patience allotment.  As we were at a standstill on I-40 from Memphis the other day, I had a whole conversation in my head about what I'd like to say to the highway department.  'I can't remember a time in my whole life that a drive to and from Memphis has been pleasant,' 'How come other states have night workers and we don't?'  Anyways, you can see how the mind can dwell on the negative.  My mind should have been on just getting home safely, instead of quickly.
     My patience has also been tested this week by being sick.  You can get sick at the drop of a hat but the healing process is a waiting game that drags on and on.  I'm resting, taking meds and have a prayer circle in place so when is it going to be over?
    As odb.org pointed out today, we need stops and pauses in our lives.  Just as stoplights and yield signs slow us down, so do trials in our lives.  We need those paused moments to let off on the accelerator of life and look to the One who controls it all.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you are well soon. Thankful that you can still do your blogs. Will add my prayers to the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know you were sick!! What is wrong? I'll be praying for a speedy recovery (or that you will have patience while you're recovering).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that I didn't tell Charity that you were sick. I thought you all wrote more often. I'll try to keep her informed of things. And amen to the post! I often find myself thinking, "Give me patience--and RIGHT NOW! The Lord is always gracious to teach us those things, whether we like it or not! I thank Him for the opportunity to learn to be more like HIm, whether it is what I like or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie...your post was timely....Susanna and I just had a failed attempt to get to Memphis last night to catch Megabus to Chicago for our cousin's wedding. The good thing was, even though it was kind of frustrating, we felt like we were in God's will and that there must have been a reason for it. For some reason I think we were meant to be home this weekend, and may not know why till Heaven, but I guess the Lord's sovereignty and goodness make it possible for us to be patient. I hope you get to feeling better...thank you for your example of patience on a daily basis. Love you,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patience....again....really??? Have you been assigned to be my accountability partner? If so, boy am I in trouble!! We must remember....it is not the destination; it is the journey! Oh, how I so often rush my life away, as my Mother used to accuse me of doing. Why do we do that? Why can't we just relax and enjoy the time/pleasures/thoughts God gives us to ponder through. My sweet Grandmother was so content to sit out on her front porch, read her Bible, and just savor the moments. Maybe I will be more like that when I get older, but for now I rush, rush, rush. "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength...they shall rise up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not grow weary...they shall walk and not faint...teach me, Lord, to wait." Love you, dear friend, T.

    ReplyDelete