Friday, May 11, 2012

The New Rude

Do you mind if I strap your phone to my forehead....


     I'm sure you've heard of the 'new math' [yea I don't know what that means either], but this caption makes me think of the 'new rude' from people.  I am a big advocate of eye contact.  Of course, most people need to look at me to understand what I'm saying but I think it should be done with everyone.
     This reminds me of a story back when there were no cell phones.  For a couple of years, The Villa had a location here in Sherwood.  I went on a date there with a guy named Larry.  I didn't pay attention to our seating arrangement until a few minutes into the date.  The tv was in his line of sight over my head.  This does not leave a good impression.
      So now days, the ante of how rude can you be has been raised.  A large majority of people are hog-tied to their cell phones by which I mean they cannot move or function without it.  Emergencies are one thing, the rest can wait. Pay attention to who you're with or they will leave you there alone with just you and your phone.....or at least they should.

6 comments:

  1. I agree,cell phones are a real problem, good thing I don't have any employees any more. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!!!Love the cartoon!!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I hate cell phones in public places or when with friends. It is so rude to text and check messages when with someone else, unless there is a potential emergency that needs to be checked on. And as for new math, I took a semester of it in college (in 1965--not too new anymore!) and cannot remember for the life of me what it was about. I do remember thinking it was kinda fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true! Reminds me of a line from the musical, Hello Dolly about how Walter Matthau will be left with just his cash register but at least it will give him a ring now and then:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have hit on one of my biggest pet peeves. I've had someone over for dinner who had their phone sitting on the table so they could read their texts, and one who would jump up from the table everytime hers rang. Maybe we should have a box at the front door that says "Please leave cell phone here for the duration of your stay."

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's absolutely right Angie. It's amazing how non personal we have become. It was good to see you yesteerday. Have a great day. Joel

    ReplyDelete