Thursday, April 5, 2012

Last Minute

lol


     I thought with the holiday weekend coming up that some of you might relate to this caption.  There never seems to be enough time to get everything ready, is there?  I suspect we think more about everything on the to-do list than just tackling one thing at a time. We become anxious, short tempered, and frantic.  What a combination!  That 'last minute' comes so quickly.  Suddenly we can wash the dog, use that soapy water to mop the floor and do laundry all in 20 min because the guests will arrive in 30min.  Been there?  Oh sure, now your out-of-breath self is sure fit for company..... not.
    One of our pastors recently talked about the Mary and Martha story.  Mary benefitted from Jesus presence and company, while Martha was more concerned with the to-do list of His arrival.  Are you a Mary or a Martha?  It's understandable to prepare for something but don't lose the joy of the event.  Don't get so tired in the before setup that you can't reap the pleasure of your company.  The idea that your guests will be judging your house with white gloves and a critiquing eye is more in your head than theirs.
    Do what you can in due time but don't fret over what you can't do.  If you're spent, then people may not want to spend time with you.

    ''Procrastination is the thief of time.''

    ''Procrastination and impatience form a system of checks and balances.''

5 comments:

  1. Long before we had computers I worked as a CPA and remember on fridays we would talk about "smoking pencils" as the week was coming to an end we had to get finished. We would get more work done in the last two hours of the day than we did all day on Tuesdays. Procration ends as the dead line approaches. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I have 2 more little gifts to make, and then I have some things that I must do, and I haven't done............! You are so right. I often say that I work best under pressure, but that's just an excuse for waiting until the last minute to get things done. Thanks (I think) for the painful reminder to use my time properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am happy to say....you did not hit me so badly on this one. I have never really been a procrastinator. I consider myself pretty organized and try to get things done well in advance. My philosophy is that we never know what might "crop up" at the last minute, so be prepared. Now, that is not ALWAYS the case, but I do try to prioritize in such a way that I won't be frazzled before deadline. I think we do a better and more thorough job if we have the time to think through our projects, rather than trying to throw it all together in the blink of an eye. Now, I know some people (like Gloria) who can do that, but I am not one of them! I learned a long time ago that, at least for me, being prepared in advance allows for calmness and enjoyment much better than rushing around at the last minutes and having to catch your breath just as your guests arrive. Not to consider the fact that it is hard for me to visit and work at the same time, LOL!! I have to use my hands for talking, you know! All this to say....used to be a Martha...striving hard to be a Mary. Love you, T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first paragraph is me everyday...not just holidays. Mom and I had a friend over the other day when another friend showed up (one who we rarely see). We jumped up, grabbed all the "stuff" laying around and hid it so the house looked neat and tidy. The friend who was watching laughed and to see how we operate. Her response was, "I didn't even see all that stuff ya'll were picking up". I think we are much more conscious of our imperfections than others are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PROCRASTINATION IS MY GREATEST SIN,
    IT BRINGS ME INTO SORROW.
    I REALLY MUST STOP DOING IT-
    I THINK I'LL START TOMORROW.
    Reagan Benedict-
    the first pastor we called for our new church in Cedar Rapids Iowa, Cedar Valley Bible Church. Grad of DTS, great man about our age(then). VERY good, could sit under him all day. was 1965, right after I was saved - whew, that was a while ago, you can't remember that far back can you! ! !
    nancy h.

    ReplyDelete