Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Words

Proverbs 12:18


     I know I've blogged on this subject before but I thought this caption was so powerful.  When I hear a parent putting a child down with words, I just cringe.  That is not discipline, that's just hate. I want to say, ''Go get your own self esteem and quit trying to take theirs.''  The boy in the picture has no shirt on and I think that points out the vulnerability of a child.  He has no protection from the harsh words. The destructive words have a choke hold on him and are squeezing the tears out of him.  How awful for someone to subject another human being to such cruelty.
     Are your words building blocks of wisdom or destructing everything within hearing distance?  Discipline instructs and explains, it doesn't tear down the individual. 
    ''The words of kindness are more healing to a drooping heart than balm or honey.''

6 comments:

  1. Again, that passage in Psalms, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Every word we speak goes into the ears of Almighty God, the One who gave us vocal chords and the ability to choose what to say. Good thought for the day, Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This picture makes me sad just to look at it. How many times have harsh words or unconstructive criticism been the downfall of a child....or an adult? That tongue yet once again! How small a little object can cause so, so much damage. I think Gloria's verse says it so well. If we could only remember it, even recite it, before we speak. Then maybe we would ndeed "be slow to speak". Keep 'em coming, Angie....I need these good thoughts every day. Love you, T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Glaro use insults all the time when ‘disciplining’ their children. I mean, bad, ugly stuff. So naturally, the kids pick it up, too, and they insult each other, put each other down, etc.



    Yesterday afternoon, after 5p.m., there were some children on my porch --- two little girls and three little boys. I was in the kitchen, and soon I heard, “Lesley, she insulted me.” I came out onto the porch and asked him, “What did she say?” “She said that I had a big head.” “You know what? People with big heads are the the ones who are really smart. So, if you have a bid head, then that means you’re really smart!” A big smile spread all over his face.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good word! I want to be careful never to fall into that. Love builds up...even when disciplining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've noticed that when I mentor two elementary kids on Wed. afternoon, that they thrive on compliments. they are both behind grade level in something or they wouldn't be in the mentoring program and I wonder how many times they are complimented for doing things right at home since any compliment seems to build them up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Let the words of my mouth and meditations of my heart be acceptable, O Lord, in your sight."
    Good reminder, Angie. Joel

    ReplyDelete