Monday, January 25, 2021

Time Matters

 




     Today's blog is about the importance of valuing your time.  We are all allotted a certain amount of time here on earth and it is predetermined by God alone.   Psalm 90:12 "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  Psalm 39:4  “Show me, Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is."   Our earthly lives will not last long, and we need wisdom to prepare for what follows.  We need God to reveal to us how short our lives are and that wisdom will help us to make wise choices that have eternal consequences.  "When we live in harmony with Jesus, death is simply a change of address. Our enjoyment of Him continues unabated when we step from this life into eternity." [gotquestions.org]

Psalm 39:5  "You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure."

     Time is a blessing.

      God grants us time to do our earthly responsibilities, but our primary focus is to do it all for His glory.  Colossians 3:23-24  ""Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."  Our primary focus is to be on God, it is He who has given us this time on earth, and He is the One who should direct how we spend it.

      God is more than patient and gracious with the time He often gives us to turn our hearts and lives towards Him.  We often manage our time as if it belongs to us and this is foolish behavior.  We should reflect on our priorities and use of our time, as it pertains to God.  We should live as if each minute counts—because it really does.

     Time is a thief.

      As a person with a progressive disease since a child, I have known the importance of using my time wisely.  I have known that what I may can do at some point won't always be with me at some unknown latter point.  For example, I could have opted out of kickball in elementary school P.E. class, but instead I tried to kick and run to first base the best I could.  Too many people sit on the sidelines of life waiting for another, better day. I can best describe my life as being on an unknown deadline without the window of waiting until a later day.  Do what you can while you can is my motto.  Time will steal your moments of opportunities, if you don't take advantage of them.  I encourage, especially my younger disabled friends, to make their dreams a reality before it's too late.  Before I got married and before he passed, my Uncle Jim told me, "Don't let anyone ever tell you 'you can't'.  Words of wisdom from a man who overcame so much.

       Time will rob all of us eventually of our physical attributes.  Many people sit on the sidelines of life and miss out on living life abundantly as God created it to be lived.  Don't let time take the blessings God has planned for you because of fear.  GO rollerskating, on a cruise, drive fast, parasailing, ride roller coasters, ride in a submarine, snorkeling, fly on a plane, water tubing, and fulfill your dreams...I've done all of these and survived and am so glad I did.


3 comments:

  1. If there was ever a woman who uses her time in manners which some would call reckless considering your "disabilities," you are one of them. But what an example you are of determination, bravery, and endurance! And your ministry to others, your giving spirit, and your heart of friendship mean much to many. Thank you, Angie. You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of how you have used your time and talents. Too many times Doctors discourage people by saying "you can't, or should not ....". I had to watch out for that when you were a child and tell them not to talk about you not being able to do stuff in the future; I said "when that time comes, she will know it and we don't need to tell her now." People need encouragement, not discouragement. I have seen in your life, Uncle Jim's life, and in my 93 yr. old friends life--that determination makes all the difference. Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been learning (albeit slowly) to better cultivate the opportunities the Lord gives, even if it is not directly spiritual in nature. Somehow the Lord has ways of using even the small things for His glory. Those little investments, those insignificant seeming talents...He is gracious to incorporate into His eternal plan.

    ReplyDelete