Monday, June 1, 2020

Sure-ender To Suffering




"Always Lord Almighty"  by Jim Elliff Copyright © 1989 Jim Elliff

O God, my ever present help
In floods of pain and trouble,
You are my refuge and my strength,
Though earth's foundations crumble.
O God, in You I cannot fear,
Though mountains fall around me,
Though waters of adversity
That roar and foam surround me.
O God, while kingdoms rage,
My secret doubts may overtake me.
But You are here; I will not fall;
At break of day You'll save me.
O God, You make my wars to cease,
One word brings desolation.
Be still, my soul, and know He's God;
In Him find consolation.
Always present, Always helping,
Always Lord Almighty!
—-

Genesis 50:19-21  "“You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.”
Romans 8:28  "“We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

         Today's blog is about suffering and our right response towards it.  How would you define suffering?  Unwanted physical and/or mental pain or discomfort.  Wikipedia defines suffering as an experience of unpleasantness and aversion associated with the perception of harm or threat of harm in an individual.   Elisabeth Elliott defines suffering as in 'having what you don't want or wanting what you don't have.'   While suffering can be a result of sin, all creation, even the righteous, will groan under the weight of sin and suffering. [christianity.com]  All Christians suffer. Either you have, you are, or you will — “through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God”.  Romans 8:20-21  " For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God."  "Suffering is a tool God uses to get our attention and to accomplish His purposes in our lives. It is designed to build our trust in the Almighty, but suffering requires the right response if it is to be successful in accomplishing God’s purposes. Suffering forces us to turn from trust in our own resources to living by faith in God’s resources." [bible.org]  "In the end, we learn that we may never know the specific reason for our suffering, but we must trust in our sovereign God. That is the real answer to suffering." [gotquestions.org]
          With so much suffering in the world, past and present, is there anyone who can understand fully what we are going through?  Someone might say to you, you don't understand how I feel because you've never experienced it.  While that may or may not be true, you can respond by saying, "Yes, but I know The One who does."
        'The cross of Christ can be regarded as the ultimate manifestation of God’s justice. When asked how much God cares about the problem of evil and suffering, the Christian God can point to the cross and say, “That much.” Christ experienced physical pain as well as feelings of rejection and abandonment. He experienced the same suffering as many people today who know the bitterness of isolation, pain, and anguish." [gotquestions.org]
          I just finished reading a book by Elisabeth Elliott called "Suffering Is Never For Nothing."  I want to share some of her thoughts with you, they aren't direct quotes, from it and share my own thoughts as it relates to hers.

         Suffering's Goal In Life? 

         "Suffering is a mystery but my loving God has a purpose in it for me and through me.  God knows what he's doing and his reasons are unknown but part of a bigger picture.  We learn who God is through suffering.  God answered Job's own questions about his suffering by revealing himself to Job.  God doesn't give explanations but just tells Job to trust Him.  Faith is not a feeling, but a willed obedience."
          As for myself, I have to ask myself is my suffering really that hard?  Compared to Christ on the cross, not in the least.  I do believe that there is purpose in the pain and struggle.  Some of my greatest gifts have come from suffering because you can't truly love and not suffer, or live life fully and not suffer.  My life is not under the fate of chance, but of God's great mercy.

         How Should I Respond To My Sufferings?

         "First, we must recognize our sufferings by crying out to God, pray, and seek refuge in Him.  Then, thank God in advance for being in control over all things at all times.  Acknowledge your need for Jesus, more than an explanation.  Acceptance is a voluntary willed act and your key to peace.  Gratitude follows acceptance and it honors God." 

Isaiah 55:6-7 "Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near.
Let the wicked forsake their ways and the unrighteous their thoughts.  Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will freely pardon."
         As for myself, I will admit my first response to real physical suffering was to be angry, withdrawn and think of myself.  Suffering has led me closer to the Lord, my cup of salvation, and knowing who God is better.  As a Christian, I have a duty and responsibility to respond to hardship differently than the world says and does.  I give up my right to self that doesn't align with God's will and I go on to doing the next thing God calls me to do.  I may not like the way I have to travel this journey that He designated for me, but I will say 'yes' to it and thank Him with praise that he is in control.  I will also thank him for always having my best interest in his plan. 

          What Should I Offer Back To God?

        "Everything is a gift from God and there are many ways we can make an offering back to God.  We can bless the Lord, regardless of our circumstances.  Obedience should be our first offering, because God wants that more than sacrifice.  Even the way we handle loneliness can be an offering back to God.  The principle of the cross is that life comes from death.  We must change our perspective to include glory for God and less on ourselves.  There are many paradoxes in the Bible; the best fruit comes from the hardest pruning, joy comes from greatest sorrow, the perishable comes from imperishable, and beauty comes from ashes.  Our faith rests on the character of god and not from how we think God should act.
          As for myself, I offer my testimony through this blog to bring glory to God.  I titled this blog as "Sure-render to Suffering" to exemplify that saying 'Sure' to surrendering to my sufferings is the right thing to do and bring glory and honor to Jesus.  I will not be afraid of today or tomorrow, but I will trust Him to be with me all the way and see me through.  I accept and have peace with his will for me.
"Measure your life by loss and not by gain, not by wine drunk but by wine poured forth, for love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice , he that suffered most has the most to give." {H. Massey]
      
5 Truths About Suffering [desiring god.org]


1] Suffering is multifaceted.   “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed” 2 Corinthians 4:8–9.

2] Suffering happens in the community.  The church is meant to be a refuge for those suffering. When a member is hurting, the church applies the bandages; when a member is down, the church encourages; when a member is in need, the church comes alongside to help.

    3] Suffering equips us for ministry.  "When you’ve passed through your own fiery trials, and found God to be true to what he says, you have real help to offer. You have firsthand experience of both his sustaining grace and his purposeful design. He has kept you through pain; he has reshaped you more into his image. . . . What you are experiencing from God, you can give away in increasing measure to others. You are learning both the tenderness and the clarity necessary to help sanctify another person’s deepest distress. [Suffering and the Sovereignty of God]

  1. 4] Suffering is a battleground.  Wherever there is suffering, there is a battle — a battle for your soul.

  2. 5] Suffering prepares us for more glory and God gets more glory. 
  3.   2 Corinthians 4:17–18  “This light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.”


  4. "The Weaver” by  Grant Colfax Tullar

    “My life is but a weaving
    Between my God and me.
    I cannot choose the colors
    He weaveth steadily.

    Oft’ times He weaveth sorrow;
    And I in foolish pride
    Forget He sees the upper
    And I the underside.

    Not ’til the loom is silent
    And the shuttles cease to fly
    Will God unroll the canvas
    And reveal the reason why.

    The dark threads are as needful
    In the weaver’s skillful hand
    As the threads of gold and silver
    In the pattern He has planned

    He knows, He loves, He cares;
    Nothing this truth can dim.
    He gives the very best to those
    Who leave the choice to Him.”





5 comments:

  1. I like the quote about living fully and loving fully because it challenges me. My natural tendency is to seek my own safety and comfort in relationships and life but God calls us to more than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What more can be said? You said it all so well here. This is a lesson for everyone to learn; as all will suffer in life some time or other. I loved the poem at the end --beautiful and so true. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert R.
    Angie, I may not always comment on your messages but I do always benefit from them. Thank you so much for following this mission that God has placed on your heart. God Bless You

    Wisdom is not just knowing God's word, wisdom is knowing God's word and APPLYING that knowledge to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vera B.
    Wow. That’s powerful. When I’m suffering through something I tend to think it is punishment. Cause I just want an easy fun life with no troubles. This brings it home that God is in control of my life and whatever happens is for my good. Thanks for such a good blog. With all that’s happening right now we need to see Gods hand in suffering. Love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a timely blog, there is a lot of suffering at this time, with this virus and the loss of jobs people are truly in need of God, I hope the unsaved will turn to Him. And the saved to build greater trust and to share their experiences with others, as we should be stronger after having experienced this suffering. Love you Dad.

    ReplyDelete