Sunday, September 16, 2018

Trust in God's Promises








Psalm 16:8-11  "I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.  Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay.  You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."



         Do you believe in the promises of God?  The Bible is full of His promises that are never failing, trustworthy, everlasting, indestructible, and infallible.  Do you stand firm on those promises no matter the circumstances you find yourself in or are you a fair-weather fan of God in the good times of life?        
         What about the promise in Romans 8:28  "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Also in Philippians 1:5-6 "because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."  Are you assured and confident of these promises on your worst day, as much as on your best day?  2 Corinthians 4:8-10  " We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body."  I believe wholeheartedly that God has purposes beyond our understanding on this side of heaven, but I still get frustrated and tired with the pains of this world.  Reassurance of Who is in control comes from Isaiah 40:28  "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
       Where do we turn when we feel at the end of our rope?  Matthew 11:28  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  Our rope is self-reliance but when we let go and let God work, then we can have peace beyond our circumstances and understanding.
       As for myself, I've been struggling with God's purpose in my circumstances lately but yet I trust in Him to finish the good work He started in me.  The formula working in me is:  Frustrated + Trust= Trustrated.  I know it sounds silly, but it's a good word for the tug-of-war going on inside me right now.  I find hope in Isaiah 40:29 "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak", because I am currently both weak and weary.  The verse above, Psalm 16:8, is in my window by my bed and encourages me daily that God is with me, that God is my focus and that God is fighting for me.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow.




In our helplessness, we discover His almighty power to sustain us. 

In our despair, God invites us to experience His peace and promises.

In our pain, He becomes our comforter and protector.

In our hopelessness, He lifts our eyes to see His sovereignty and goodness.

Every adversity God allows in our life is designed to bring us to spiritual maturity, not to devastate us. When we yield to Him in the midst of a crisis, He enables us to trust and wait on Him with patience and hope. [intouch.org]

7 comments:

  1. Okay, if every believe does not adopt "trustrated" into his/her vocabulary, he is making a big mistake. That's where I am right now--in a different way than you, but still "trustrated"! Your wisdom and honesty never cease to amaze me, Angie. THANKS TO GOD AND THANKS TO YOU!!!!! Love, love, love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie,

    Your blog is very encouraging to me to trust God that He's working things to work for His glory and for good!
    We just came back last night from a church retreat with our former church (Rome) Our brothers and sister in the Lord shared many (almost overwhelming to see how many) struggles coming from several directions and aiming at God's children. Our study was the epistle to the Philippians and we've been very encouraged by it.
    Love.
    Ferdine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome word.....trustrated! We have all been there....thank you for giving it a name! You are amazing and so inspiring......even when trustrated! Love you!🙏🙏💕💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying that trust keeps winning dear Angie! Sending you lots of hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie,

    This was a superb blog; countering the different sides of trials --- frustration, weariness, weakness, power, promises, purpose, and trust. You backed up your statements with scripture to prove & explain. This was applicable to all; for we all go through trials, some a lot more than others. Your personal example makes it more real, understandable and believable. A GREAT BLOG—I thought as I was reading this, “ I may want to use this in my Christmas newsletter (with your permission of course), as it is so good, so real, so applicable to everyone. Thanks for your sharing your God given wisdom through your blogs; He is definitely using you, and through your weakness you are strong. One of your best blogs.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again you put me to shame. I have let the problems of the world defeat me instead of letting God be my all, my trusted savior and protector. You remind us all to take a long look at ourselves and reevaluate where we stand with Christ. Pray for me. Aunt Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always stand on the promises of God, He has the whole world in His hand. We have to look past this world and its problems and think about the eternal life that has been promised to the believer. I know the health issues that you are having, however the future is very bright. Love you ...Dad

    ReplyDelete