Monday, May 7, 2018

Authenticity



Proverbs 12:22  "The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are trustworthy."
1 Peter 2:1  "Rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind




        Have you ever pretended to be something you're not?  Were you trying to be accepted by, pleasing to, or like.. the world around you?  Romans 12:2  " Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."  The devil plants thoughts into our minds that we are not enough just as we are.  With and through the blood of Christ, we are enough.  Christ in us needs no additions.  His gift of grace is enough.  The world will never be satisfied with who and what we are, but His mercy sees each of us, as beautiful and enough.  "Not what I was, but who I could become thru His blood."
       "The qualities God wants in His people further reveal His concept of beauty. The beatitudes reveal some of God’s standards of beauty. An awareness of one’s spiritual poverty, sorrow for wickedness, hunger and thirst for righteousness, mercy, purity of heart, and being a peacemaker are all qualities of beauty. The epistles also stress attributes valued by God: keeping a living faith while enduring physical hardships, controlling the tongue, enduring personal harm to protect the church’s influence, making sacrifices for the good of others, and living by Christian convictions in the face of ridicule. All these are beautiful to God.  We must remember that just as it is possible to be one of society’s most impressive people and be ugly in the eyes of God, it is also possible to be an unknown in society and to be radiantly beautiful in His eyes."  [gotquestions.org]
        E.E. Cummings said, "To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else_means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."
       As for myself, I've not always embraced my authentic self.  In my teenage years, I would lie about my soft voice saying 'I was hoarse from yelling at the football game.'  It's taken me many years to embrace my physical weaknesses as part of God's will for my life.  I now have the courage to be vulnerable and imperfect because I am who God made me to be, just as He wanted and designed.
        C.S. Lewis addresses the authenticity of God by saying, "I want God, not my idea of God."  God clearly states who He is and what He stands for in the Bible.  Sin twists our thoughts of God into who we want Him to be, not who He really is.  A common phrase is "God is love"..yes, but finish the sentence.."God is love and just."
        Exodus 15:11  "Who among the gods is like you, Lord?  Who is like you— majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders?"  God is incomparable to anything or anyone.  He is never changing. He is authentic and trustworthy in all things, beyond our capability and thoughts.  "In Christ we are loved, forgiven, and secure. In Christ we are adopted, justified, redeemed, reconciled, and chosen. In Christ we are victorious, filled with joy and peace, and granted true meaning in life. What a wonderful Savior is Christ!"


May we embrace and grow into who God intended us to be.  Be true to yourself and to God  personally, publicly and privately.



       O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee,
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart. —Chisholm



5 comments:

  1. Another really good blog, Angie. We must rely on God's love, grace and mercy, because we are not going to measure up to His standards on our own. We are just a bunch of sinners. Love you..........Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,

    Good blog; certainly convicting to me. I have a long ways to go in controlling my tongue. Sometimes I blurt out a judgement, when I should not or sometimes it would be best to be altogether silent.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Angie, this was so good! Authenticity in Christ brings freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so good. I often think I have to be more, do more, try harder. I need to be reminded that I am complete in Christ and can add nothing of my own to the righteousness that He provides

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, Whow, you got me again. I'm practically limping my toes are so sore. Great job hon! Keep up the great work. Love you!
    Aunt Robbie

    ReplyDelete