Sunday, August 20, 2017

Strength Comes From God


"This is what the Lord says: “Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the Lord."
Psalm 18:32
"It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure."

         How would you define strength?  Is it mere muscle ability? Is it the power to resist a force against you?  Is strength a level of confidence?  Is strength a product of man or God?  When we think about our own strength for today, I think we should consider these questions.

       Where does your true strength come from, the gym or God's Word?  Don't we all rely on ourselves or others too much and find disappointment?  It is a sin to place our trusted confidence in the wisdom, power, kindness and faithfulness of man because those attributes are trusted wholly to God alone.  "It is making flesh the arm we stay upon, the arm we work with and with which we hope to work our point, the arm under which we shelter ourselves and on which we depend for protection. God is his people’s arm, Isa. 32:2."  [M. Henry]

        As the poem above states, we need strength in many different ways.  We need strength just to survive the day.  We need strength to live without fear, for whatever we face.  We need strength to endure the troubles of life.  We need strength to not be overwhelmed by our duties for the Lord.  We need strength to not be consumed by sorrows.  We need strength physically, emotionally and spiritually because Satan attacks at every angle.

        Those that trust in man and not God, "can neither produce the fruits of acceptable services to God nor reap the fruits of saving blessings from him." [M.Henry]

3 Characteristics of Those Who Get Their Strength God  [M.Henry]

1] They live by faith in God's providence and promises

2] They seek God's guidance at ALL times

3] They seek God and His love in the most difficult and unquiet times

       As for myself, strength is going down in some aspects of my life and soaring like an eagle in other areas.  My strength from God sustains me through the daily battles and gives me hope for my tomorrows.

      My prayer for you is that you find your strength in God as you build a life of faith trusting in God alone.


5 comments:

  1. Your spiritual strength is one of the strongest I know, and that's what is important. Love you, DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! God always knows just what I need to hear just when I need it. My feeling of weakness in several areas was looming big in my mind this weekend. I needed this encouragement to be strong in the Lord. Gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! God always knows just what I need to hear just when I need it. My feeling of weakness in several areas was looming big in my mind this weekend. I needed this encouragement to be strong in the Lord. Gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie,
    Such truth in this—our own strength will fail us, but God’s never will. He desires the best for us and knows what is best for us. If only we could remember to rely on Him at all times instead of ourselves. It is such a comfort to remind ourselves of His promises and remember how He has taken care of us in the past. I don’t know how non-Christians deal with the trials of life without leaning and depending upon the Lord. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing daily prayer! I find myself some mornings not having the motivation I need, knowing that I don't have the strength in me to get through the day. But when we are weak, then He is strong!

    ReplyDelete