Thursday, August 3, 2017

Appearance Judging

 



1 Samuel 16:7
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

        I just love this verse and I find great comfort in it, especially when the world assumes so much and yet knows so little.   God sees our authentic self, which is our heart and mind, without any pretenses.  He knows our naked, rock bottom, true soul and will judge us accordingly.  So many times, we act like the Pharisees by trying to speak, dress or act to impress others, but God knows the 'fake it till ya make it' performance and is never fooled by it.  Isaiah 11:3-4 "He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,  or decide by what he hears with his ears; but with righteousness he will judge the needy, with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth."
      "The good disposition of the heart, the holiness or goodness of that, recommends us to God, not the majesty of the look, or the strength and stature of the body."  Whew, can we all be thankful for that?  We are not defined by our bodies but by the condition of our hearts toward God.  People will see your life as a reflection of your heart, whatever that may be, with time.  
        Our problem is that we are quick to judge based on external factors.  What if we were judged everyday by how we looked before we 'got ready' for the day?  What if we had no control over our hair, smell, breath, etc.?  Well, people are judged all the time over things out of their control and it's wrong to assume.  Take a minute to think about that... what are you judging others on?  Thankfully, God isn't as narrow-minded as we are.  He sees what's important in each of us... our heart as for or against Him.
         As for myself, I've been humbled many times by people's assumptions because of my small frame.  I've learned it's better to give grace than try to defend yourself.  Your response is a witness in itself.  I'm passed the stage of trying to impress others, but my goal is to keep my heart right and pleasing with God.  I am trying to be my authentic self.

3 comments:

  1. To the most beautiful woman I know: Okay! Allright already! I'm convicted! Not so much of judging others, but of judging myself by the way I look. You go right for the juggular, girl. And I appreciate it so much. Keep it up! Someday some of us may just take it to heart. :) Committing to working harder on the heart--Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are small but mighty! It is so easy to jump to conclusions based on a first look, but there is so much more than what meets the eye. Thanks for reminding me to look past the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, I loved this blog--every word so true and meaningful! Yes, convicting, I know I am guilty of doing this without even thinking about it--and I find that much of the time I was wrong in my conclusion. I think as I have grown older I have become slower at doing this--at least I hope so. I agree with Gloria, that we judge ourselves unlike God does and we need to remind ourselves that we are made in His image and He is creator of all. I do find myself reminding myself of that more and more and I think it helps with attitude and judging. This is another great blog that should be helpful for all to read. I am proud to call you my child and I believe God is proud to call you His child.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete