Monday, April 7, 2014

Bitter, Sweet

Till sin be bitter, Christ will not be sweet _ Thomas Watson



              Why does everyone not embrace God's sacrifice for them?  I think this caption's message is one answer.  'Till sin be bitter, Christ will not be sweet.'  Until we recognize ourselves as sinners, then we will not appreciate the gift of forgiveness that only Christ offers.  Romans 7; 24-25  ''What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!''  'As unpleasant as it may seem, recognition of our own moral wretchedness is at the heart of Christianity. The story doesn't end with that, of course--it's precisely because God rescues us from our wretchedness that we serve Christ.'
              People are too confident in themselves and the things of this world so they don't see their need of a Savior.  Revelation 3;17 ''You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.''  'If we were to look at ourselves the way God sees us even when we have it all together, we would see something totally different.  In fact, His grace is only a “sweet sound” when you know how deep it had to go to clean you up!'
             May we all see our sin of self-sufficiency and not turn away from our need for Jesus in each of our lives.





3 comments:

  1. Since we have not experienced heaven we do not know how bad we have it here on earth, there are better days coming. Good Blog......Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminds me of yesterday's Morning devotional by Spurgeon. How remiss we are in not recognizing the sacrifice of our Lord and the sinfulness which nailed Him to the cross. We forget that it was our sin that put Him there. This is such a good message, Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post....and especially love the last sentence. So many times we think we are capable of taking care of ourselves and all our needs. How forgetful....and sinful....we are not to give God all the glory. Praying I will ALWAYS see my great need for my Lord and Savior....and tell Him and others how very thankful I am for ALL that He does for me. Love you, sweet friend....T.

    ReplyDelete