Monday, April 22, 2013

The Hokey-Pokey

I bet it is



    Well going to bed is really all about the hokey-pokey for me.  Since I have to sleep in one position all night, then my comfort level is dependent on the arrangement of my body parts.  Every night involves telling someone to 'put my right foot out, put my left foot in.'  Yes, I still remember the days of just falling into bed with no thought on my mind but sleep itself.  I long for the day when I'll be able to do that again in heaven.
    I hope the rest of my life is not centered around a ritualistic pattern.  Sometimes we get into a rut of patterns and just go thru the motions.  Children are taught memorized prayers to get them into the habit of praying but as we grow our prayers should become our own and not just a ritual.  Going to church should be a time of worship and not just a place to be on Sunday.  'Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than a garage makes you into a car.'
    So I encourage you to think about what it's really all about and 'turn yourself around.'

4 comments:

  1. I never even thought about how climbing into bed and just going to sleep is a blessing. And yes, any ritual, no matter how useful, can become stale. Good analogy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well written! Love you,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, my friend. The Christian life is a waste of time if just a "hokey pokey" religious ritual. It is life and it gives life, and I appreciate so much the life of faith that is producing this wonderful and encouraging blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Another great post. How do you take those little captions and make such a wonderful Godly message from them? I admire you so much for your sweet spirit, great attitude and unending tenacity. Like Cathie, I never think about my flexibility while sleeping being a blessing (although I do often pray for sleep!!) I do the "hokey-pokey" every night, too, but it does not take nearly the effort it does for you. Thank you for yet another meaningful and thought-provoking post! Love you, T.

    ReplyDelete