Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Trust and Proof


Trust


     I lived in the 'Show Me' state, Missouri, for six years.  Show me is our desire to see the proof in the pudding.  I think the world is so fallen that trust has to be earned with proof so that you can trust in something.
    When we start out as babies, we are helpless and have to trust our parents.  With time, we are shown their love for us.  We don't come out of the womb with a check of their resume to see if they're qualified.
    I think God knew our show-me thoughts and provided a form of proof thru the Bible.  We must not just study the Bible but apply it and trust will grow.  So often tho, we are like the Israelites.  We grumble, God provides, then we forget the blessing, and doubt Him in the next trial.
   We are not just sinners but helpless sinners.  There is nothing we can do on our own, ie. good works, to save ourselves.  We must trust in the Savior who was sent to be our only help.  Your life is proof He cares for you but does your life prove you care for Him?

4 comments:

  1. One of my Jesus Calling devotionals recently was about trusting God and staying in His Presence. It suggested making a habit of saying, "I trust you, Jesus". I am trying to do that in EVERY circumstance. Saying those words is a constant reminder that He is in control, and most importantly, that my trust is in Him. Thank you, Angie....your posts are always so timely! I know... It's a God thing!! Love you, T. P.S. Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the old testament I see myself so frequently in the fickleness of the Israelites....I find it so encouraging that even with as wayward as God's people are He has statements about how He will change their hearts of stone to hearts of flesh etc....so glad He intervenes and doesn't just always leave us to our own devices.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote! I used to tell my mother that I was sure she was from Missouri, because everything had to have proof! What a joy it is to know that we have a God who is worthy of our trust, no matter our circumstances. I needed that reminder today. Thank you, Lord, for your timely reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. How often do I forget the blessings of the Lord when I'm in the midst of a tough situation. Maybe we should set up stones of remembrance like the Israelites did...something to remind us of God's faithfulness. Maybe we should just see each day of life as a reminder. Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete