Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Way Back Wednesday--- DNA Testing













   

     Well with the crappy results of the presidential race delivered to us last night, I thought this would be an appropriate time to stick with the same theme.  So I'm going to talk crap today, literally.
     The picture above is of me at work doing the mail.  We had to open and make an account log of the samples we received each day to be tested.
     My specialized job at the lab, for which I was hired, was DNA testing.  It was a brand new way of testing at the time.  In the mail, I would receive an arm length glove that had been used to get a fecal sample from a cow.  Yea, gross.  I'm no country girl either.  I had to take the poopy samples and dilute them with water before running a 3 day test.  This test was for Johne's disease in cattle.  This is a chronic mycobacterial infection that affects the lower intestine of cattle.  My test was looking for the presence of that bacterial DNA.
     I also did DNA testing on turkeys.  The samples were provided by throat swabs to get the DNA.  This test was for avian mycoplasmosis, which is a contagious respiratory infection in turkeys.  I did have one sample come up positive and the whole flock was killed.  I felt pretty bad about it.
     So I don't have any wise words except that your job may involve things undesirable to you but that was my job.  Some attitudes today prevent folks from getting a job because people think they're too good or above that.  You're not.  Any job is better than a government handout that makes other people pay your way.

6 comments:

  1. When our attitude is wrong, it is so easy to be a bum at our job (mothering), but when our attitude is aligned with God's heart, it is so much easier to be grateful for the job God has given us, to enjoy it, and to try to be the best at it that we can be! I agree that the results last night were not in our obvious favor, but God can use this to teach us something, and I'm sure He will. Love you Angie! --Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh and today, that was no small thing!Thanks! Loved the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, for the first time ever, I have to say, that was a crappy post! :o) Thanks for a good laugh, and yes, a job is a job and above reproach as long as it is not offensive to God. And since He made the stuff that was a part of your job, I'd say it was a pretty good one. Thanks for a fun way to start the day, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEWWWW.....that does not sound like fun AT ALL. But I'll bet it was VERY interesting. You probably learned a lot about diseases and animals. And I totally agree with your last statement....any job is better than no job. God said, "If a man doesn't work, he doesn't eat." Too bad the world has come so far from that statement. There are WAY too many people today who have the ability to work but choose not too....they think a handout is better. Makes me ill. Love you, sweet friend...take care....Twylia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this post. I know you enjoyed your job even if parts of it were "crappy"--you strived for over a year to get a job after graduating from college (with very good grades too). God knew the perfect time and place for you to work and I feel sure it was there. There are difficult things in any job -- I guess that is why we are told to look on the positive. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wise counsel! Not too good to scrub the toilet. Love you, Aunt Robbie

    ReplyDelete