Thursday, June 14, 2012

Exaggeration

really



     Do you know people who embellish the truth?  It makes you doubt some of the things they say in general.  Now did this little rabbit see a real giant carrot, a plastic carrot, a carrot grown in Alaska or is it a carrot he dreamed up?  I wonder if he's trying to rally the other rabbits into Mr. McGregor's garden with his impressive tale.
     When we are known to be truthful, people will take you at your word.  Exaggeration tho can lead to distrust.  Is exaggeration an attempt to get attention?  I'd rather hear your story, even if it's boring, in truth than with false embellishments.
     There is also the 'one-up' factor.  Some people feel the need to tell their better story as soon as yours is over.  I hate that.  It gives the impression that you didn't even care about the first story but that you just want to tell yours.  The Bible says do not boast on anything but the Lord.
     Just tell it like it is and say 'and that's that.'  No more and no less equals out to be just enough.

     Proverbs 12;19  ''Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.''

4 comments:

  1. My money is that he was trying to rally the other rabbits to go and invade Mr. McGregor's garden.... He looks like a trouble maker:) But seriously, we exaggerate a lot in our society - especially on t.v. - and it isn't a good thing. but I never really think of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like most fishermen are going to have trouble with this blog. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say what you mean and mean what you say....that is heard coming from my lips quite often around here. I think you are right about exaggeration being a way to get attention. ( and boy, does it bug me!) Love me some Beatrix Potter, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post reminds me of my friend, Carolyn Dorsey...who says, "Let your yes be yes, and let your no be no." Pretty good advice. I remember when my dad used to seal a business deal or a contract with a handshake, no paperwork needed. Wow, can you imagine that in this day and time? What a great proverb you quoted, Angie. Thank you for another great post. Love you, T.

    ReplyDelete