Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Way Back Wednesday---Blue Hawks Mascot










     Here I am in the 4th grade as the mascot for the Blue Hawks football team in Stuttgart.  I don't remember how this came to be.  I recall the cheerleaders as being a little bit older than me but somehow they let me be the younger mascot.  I couldn't do their flips and jumps but I did get to join in with them on the cheers.  The two cheers I remember are 'Pork chop, pork chop, greasy, greasy, we can beat your team easy easy' and 'Our team is red hot, just look what we got, we got T-E-A-M...yea team.'  I do remember it as very fun to be a part of something.  I think uniforms of any kind give you a sense of belonging to something special.
     Maybe I've always been an encourager, I'm not sure.  I have though always wanted to be a participator.  I'm not a bench warmer by choice. It's never been my goal to be number one at physical activities but just to play a part.  We played kickball in elementary P.E. class and my goal was never to score a point.  It was to kick the ball in the opposite direction and maybe make it to first base.  That's making the most out of reality.
     Even with my limitations today, I want to participate.  Sometimes I even join in by volunteering my dad on my behalf..lol.  I think it's important to be involved with something.  I can't sign up for the cleaning schedule at church but instead I found a project that I could do... missionary prayer requests.
    You can sit on the sidelines and watch the world pass by.. and it will.. or you can get involved and have some fun.

7 comments:

  1. I remember trying to play softball and the only thing I enjoyed about it was yelling, "We need a pitcher, not a glass of water!" Which at that time seemed to me to be extremely witty. And maybe it was, the first ten times I repeated it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for not being willing to just sit on the sideline...thanks for your example!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what an adorable little mascot! You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that attitude. You are a great blessing. Joel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thankful for your attitude too. I don't remember either how it came about for you to be a mascot. I also remember at this time you were in girl scouts too. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can attest to your volunteering your dad for stuff....getting Ruth out of the mud at our house. Thanks again for that! Love you, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that picture!! You are the cutest thing!! I always wanted to be a cheerleader too, but was never coordinated enough to do so. Believe me, I cannot do flips or jumps either!! But I could surely learn those cheers and yell for our team! God wants whatever ability you have to offer. If He didn't give us all different gifts, it would be a boring and lopsided world. It takes the brain to work the toes! The only way to feel a part of something is to participate in it!! As the saying goes, "Just do it!" If it is God-glorifying, He will give us the ability we need to completion! Thanks for another great post! Love you, dear sweet friend...T.

    ReplyDelete