Saturday, March 10, 2012

Who's Voice?

Jeff Dunham and Peanut. Seriously funny guy


     We went last night to Verizon arena to see the ventriliquist, Jeff Dunham.  It was a great, funny show, although uncensored- unlike on television.  My favorite puppet is Walter, a grumpy old man who tells it like it is regardless of what others think. Jeff has six main puppets with all different personalities. It was a good night of laughter.
      The idea of puppets makes me think about our own voices.  God didn't create us to be puppets so He gave us freewill.  Yet, He is our master. Is your voice being controlled by the Master?  It says in the Bible, we are not defiled by what goes into our mouths but by what comes out of it.  If we each had a mouth filter, how much dirt would yours catch?
      Here's a quote I found that makes alot of sense...  'When words reach the tip of your tongue, hold back half of them.'

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking me to the show, it was a lot of fun. I agree we should hold back half of our words, and maybe 80-90% should be held back for some people.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is amazing with those puppets and they are all so cute and funny; however would have been a lot better without some of the language. I was surprized because what we watched on tv was not like that. So thankful you were up to going and did so well for the 4 hrs.

    The brain is supposed to filter what comes out of our mouths--I suppose you could say the more garbage that comes out, the less brain matter you have filtering it. What is it they say--you may look dumb but when you open your mouth you can remove all doubt. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. "May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

    ReplyDelete
  4. James and I had seen a special on Jeff Dunham just this past week. He really is an amazing ventriloquist. Some of his "characters" are just that....quite some characters. Not sure I like the terrorist....did he have him there? He is a little scary and his language is not so good. I have also heard the phrase, "Garbage in, garbage out". What we put into our minds/brains is sometimes what comes out our mouths. If we are careful about filling ourselves with what God would want us to, and especially with His word, what comes out might need a lot less censoring. Oh! that tongue again...what trouble it does get us into. I read in Jesus Calling yesterday..."Live in the Light of My Presence, and you will be a light to others." Gloria said it so well (in a lot less words than I)....love that verse and pray to live by it....love you...glad you had fun at the concert...T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend told me this story - I think she got it from Dr. Dobson's show years ago but not sure. A mother was having problems with her teen-agers who thought a little profanity, immorality in movies was okay. So she fixed brownies for them but before they ate them, she said, "These brownies should be fine. I just put a little manure in the mix so it shouldn't be a problem." I've always remembered that, where ever the story came from... But I'm glad you got to go. He is very talented and I wouldn't have expected it to be different from t.v.

    ReplyDelete