Monday, March 5, 2012

Tasks

.


      I am never going to be a Michaelangelo or Jonas Salk and be remembered for some great task on earth but that's okay.  I think to be remembered for being consistently giving to others in your life is a better legacy to leave.  We need to have a giving heart without expectation in return.  Satan puts selfish thoughts in our heads like 'what did they ever do for me?'  The following verses challenge those thoughts.
      2 Thessalonians 3:13 '' And as for you, brothers and sisters, never tire of doing what is good.''
      Galatians 6:9  ''Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.''
      Romans 2:7  ''To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.''
      I don't know about you but it makes me feel good inside to give to others by words, my time or gifts. I recently gave help to an old friend of mine to try to help them get back on their feet.  Others questioned my generosity and thought I was being conned or taken advantage of.  I wasn't but even if I had been, my heart was in the right place.  A friend in need helps a friend in deed.  I am not blessed with things to stockpile it for myself but to share the blessings with others.
      May your journey in life be filled with wonderful tasks and not held back by waiting on one big task.

6 comments:

  1. Like you, Angie, I will never be a Michaelangelo or Jonas Salk....but I am happy being who I am. If I could just sing, I would be ecstatic, LOL!! God gives all of us special gifts that we are to use to glorify Him. I would rather be known and remembered as being a friend to many than one who wants/wanted fame or fortune for myself. I used to have a cross-stitch sampler hanging on my wall (think it is in the attic now....couldn't bear to part with it)...it stated, "The love in your heart wasn't put there to stay...Love isn't love til it's given away." So true....love finding just the right "little" thing or sometimes "big" thing that is perfect for someone. What joy that brings to the giver! Love you, and so appreciate all your wonderful posts...T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of your very best ones.
    I know the friend appreciated the help- you and your whole family are living examples of generosity.
    nancy h.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can they get any better, or more exhorting? Thank you, Angie, for this great reminder. God is in the little things as well as the big. I want to be remembered for the ways that I ministered to the "little" people as well as those who have. You know, it seems the "haves" are often considered more important than the "have nots." But Jesus chose the lowly to confound the wise, so I assume our focus should be on ministering to those who are in need, not those who already have. And those in need are not usually the ones who are going to help us rise to the occasion of the famous. Yet in God's eyes, the first shall be last and the last shall be first. Make any sense at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Francis Schaeffer once wrote a book, "No Little People, No Little Places" He suggested that Christians should always take the "smallest tasks" and wait for God to "extrude" them into larger ones. This idea caught my fancy and has been a guiding principle in my life since that time. Have a great day! Joel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reminder for me! I don't often feel that what I do is insignificant, but I often feel that it is thankless. But, really, that's not what I'm in it for. The eternal purpose and reward is what really mattes.
    Oh, and that "what's in it for me" attitude - one of my biggest pet peeves!

    ReplyDelete