Thursday, November 17, 2011

Desperation

Rain


     Okay, so with all the heavy rain we had earlier this week and more to come next week, I thought I'd share a little memory.  We lived in Stuttgart, AR when I was in 2nd thru 4th grade. My elementary school was across the street from our house and my dad's office was diagonal to our house.  I was a latch-key kid part of that time after school.  Well one day that was a gully washer, I either forgot my key or lost it but I was locked out.  My 50 pound, soaking wet self decided to walk to my dad's office.  The rain was coming down in sheets and the wind was so hard, it turned my umbrella wrong side out. [I knew exactly how Dorothy of The Wiz of Oz felt.] I kept truckin' along.  About 3/4th's of the way there, a UPS man stopped to offer me a ride.  I knew better than to take a ride from a stranger, even tho I was pretty desperate. I said, 'no, I'm just going right there', as I pointed to the office.  He was nice and walked with me there to make sure I made it safely.
    Desperation can make us question what we know is the right thing to do.  Don't fall for it.  Whether it takes extra patience in waiting or a lil more effort on your part, don't risk danger by taking the easy route. Follow your gut and do what's right.

4 comments:

  1. I am not sure you weighed 50 pounds WITH the rain, I remember your perseverence with the umbrella I would have thrown it away. Love you for doing what is right.

    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to let the grandkids read this one. What a smart girl you were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to weigh 50 lbs. too!! Probably until I was about in junior high!! My, how things change! You have the best memory, Angie. I am not sure I could remember in detail events like those that you share. This is really a good lesson for us all...not to take the easy way when the hard way is right. Last Sunday morning, I did not feel well...had gone to the Razorback game on Saturday night and stayed out in the very strong wind for several hours. I felt a sinus infection coming on on the way home (have been battling it all week) and I really just wanted to stay in bed. When I called Diane Lenon, my co-greeter at CBF, and explained that to her, she replied (jokingly), "That's no excuse". I thought....she is right and my mother would have said, "If you can go out on Saturday night, you can go to church on Sunday morning". I got up, showered, began to feel better and went on to church....even got there in time to help greet for a few minutes...and was so blessed to have gone. Then I had all afternoon to rest. I am not saying we should always make ourselves do something, but the Holy Spirit (or Diane Lenon or memories of Mother) will give us the right answer if we just listen. I do know there is a time to rest and a time to work! Love you, T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Maggie would say, "Awww, that's so cute". I can just picture you trudging along with your inside out umbrella. Glad you listened to your mom and dad and did the right thing. Love your memory lane posts - I feel like I get to know you so much better through them.

    ReplyDelete