Monday, November 7, 2011

Canton Nov 2011

 We left for Canton, TX on Thursday, Nov 3rd.  The whole town turns into a flea market, with new and old stuff, the weekend before the first Monday of each month. We got there about 830pm.
Friday started out kinda cold so we went to the indoor mall first. 300 vendors there with booths. We ran into the lady who made my bench several years ago. She wasnt here on our last visit and this was her last show to sell at. I wish I had taken a picture with her. She is going to paint 4 new scenes for my bench by early spring.
Friday afternoon we went to the main area with long metal buildings filled with vendors. We brought my new machine so that when I got tired, I could get some air. Well when that time came, my mask broke.  aghhh.  I had a spare in the van so no harm. The crowds weren't too bad Friday.  We ate at dinner at our usual mexican restaurant, Juanitas...free ice cream.
Saturday, oh my gosh, was a mad house. We estimated at least 100,000 people were there. They say the economy is bad? not in Canton.  Jack went with us Sat afternoon. He thought everyone was his best friend, including this one dog, a bull mastiff, that wanted to eat him in one bite...lol.  The traffic picture below is us trying to go about 3 miles back to the rv..took over an hour. For die hard shoppers, its worth it..lol.  Needless to say, we ate in and watched the LSU/AL game. My dad came down with a cold this night too.
Sunday, we thought we were doing good to be ready by 1020am... wait its 920am? Thanks Verizon..lol.  When do you know its time to go home?  The owner at the last store stopped my dad and I at the door and said 'no wheelchairs allowed.'  Seriously?  I'm not sure thats legal but we left it at that and walked away.  If you go to Canton, boycott Laurie Annas... just my lil free advertising plug..lol.
We got home about 8pm Sunday night...whooped. It was a great trip that I've waited over a year for. Christmas shopping mostly done plus a few goodies for me..lol.
Sincerely,  Canton Junkie






10 comments:

  1. I just sent LaurieAnnas an email and let them know I too will be boycotting their store in the future. I am disappointed in their response to your wheelchair. I wish it had been different, as her products are adorable. But alas, no more LauriAnnas for me. Just wanted you to know......Margie Brinker

    ReplyDelete
  2. the trip sounds like a lot of fun, aside from the Laurie Annas thing, which doesn't make any sense. I would boycott the store as well but since I've never shopped there, I don't think that would do any good. But the bottom line is that I'm really glad you got to go - I love trips like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angelia,

    My heart just aches after reading this post. Margie was kind enough to email it to me. I spent my time behind the sales counter during this show because of the overwhelming crowd, so I was not able to greet customers. However, we do have two sweet ladies that rotate the responsibility of greeting customers as they enter the store. We strive to make all of our guests feel welcome and those with special needs are very important to us.

    I'm hopeful our compassion is evidenced by the wheelchair accessible ramp that leads directly into the front door of our store, as well as the two handicap accessibility parking spaces that rest on each side of it. All of our restrooms are also handicap accessible, we've tried to assure every provision is available to make all of our customers feel welcome and comfortable.

    The only things we ask to not enter the store are the large shopping roller carts that are used on the trade days grounds and large strollers. There must be a miscommunication somewhere. I'm so very disheartened to read your post because we try so hard to make our store handicap accessible and friendly.

    I don't find an email address here on your blog. Please email me at sales@laurieannas.com so I can find out exactly what happened. I'd like the opportunity to communicate with you personally about this.

    Sincerely,

    LaurieAnna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie Anna

    If I lived in TX, I would meet w/you. I live in AR tho.
    Your blonde 5'2'' assistant stopped us and blocked my dad and I before we could
    even enter the store. She said the store was too crowded and wheelchairs weren't
    allowed. My chair is small. Ive never broken anything in a store, since being in a chair since 97, but if I did I'd pay for it. The ramp and parking spaces are nice but are useless if you
    cant enter the store.
    I appreciate you reading my blog and hope change will come from it.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of Canton or their markets, but it sounds awesome! Might just need to talk my hubby into this sometime :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good time.

    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about the wheel chair incident. Sounds like the owner won't allow that to happen again, though. And, oh--I'm glad you were able to go this year--and I'm glad it wasn't me, when I see all that traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well maybe she was just having one of those really really bad retail days!!! No excuse for it though!!! How many snowmen did you bring back???

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2 snowmen.. 1 a flag w/the letter 'a' and one that the lady, i mentioned about the bench, gave me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have got to go there! Looks like you saw some cute snowmen...I'm sure some were added to your collection. So glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete