Monday, September 12, 2011

Panic

     We were reminded yesterday of the panic that struck the U.S. ten years ago. Panic can also strike us from within. If you've never had a panic attack, I know it sounds silly, irrational and unexplainable. I agree but it is also a real and all-consuming fear with a paralyzing effect.
     This happened to me while driving during 1998, I think. I had heard on the news the danger of airbags killing people. As I drove home from work on the freeway, the thought of this happening scared me and I decided to not take the freeway to and from work anymore. So driving home through town had its own challenges. After working 8 hours, I was pretty tired. It became increasingly difficult, in my mind at least, to stop and go thru all the traffic and stop lights. My 20 minute drive home soon became a 2 hour drive. The fear of not being able to brake was like a pressure cooker building with steam. I had to pull over every lil bit and calm myself with deep breathing, regroup and go again. This went on for 2-3 months. Sure people asked where I was and I just said I made a few stops along the way. True, in a skewed kinda way. I didn't tell a soul because what would I do if I couldn't drive???  One day I came to a busy intersection in the middle of town and I literally could not move. My fear-stricken face must have been visible from far, far away. Before I even had a chance to consider what to do, a man from the adjacent street got out of his truck and asked me if I needed help. Normally I would never, but in this case, I scooted over to the passenger seat and let him drive to the Pizza Hut parking lot at that intersection. Sure a million bad things could have happened to me at that moment but I think it was a Good Samaritin moment sent from above. I finally told someone and was asked 'why didn't you use the hand controls?' My fear was so powerful over me, I never thought of that and it was there all along. My mom came up that weekend and helped me practice driving with the hand controls. I drove safely and comfortably for the next 5 years.
     Don't let fears of anything consume you. Talk it over with someone. The solution may be right at your fingertips.

2 comments:

  1. Angie, what a great lesson for us all. I tend to be claustrophobic, and I have to fight my way through it. We should always remember Isaiah 41:10: "Fear not, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm a fearful one. I've been praying through some of my anxieties as well as those of one of my girls. Amazing how fear can overcome us, when they are usually not even logical. Thanks for another encouraging word.

    ReplyDelete