Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Listening

    James 1;19 '' My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak''


     I copied the following from one of my devotionals today, which inspired this blog. ''Talking is sharing but listening is caring. Take a tip from creation.  Ears aren’t made to shut but the mouth is. Put away your sermon, save your advice and just listen. Sometimes the best gift a friend can offer is a listening ear.''
     People often have to listen closer to what I'm saying because I talk so softly. In general tho, are you a good listener?  I think eye contact is a very important part of listening. It shows you are focused on what the speaker is saying. Are you really listening or just waiting for them to finish, so you can say your two cents worth? Proverbs 18:13 'To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.'  I know I'm guilty of this, especially when I don't agree with what's being said. I could probably respond better in all discussions if I would listen to the whole thing. Sometimes though, no response is needed or wanted, we just want to vent. That's when a good phone call or visit with a friend is the best solution. Saying 'I know what you mean' or 'I understand' is all you need to hear.
     You can close your eyes and close your mouth, but the ears are always open. So listen up but with that being said, be careful what you listen to also.

3 comments:

  1. So very well put, Angie. Everyone could benefit from this brief lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such words of wisdom! Boy, as my mother used to say, "you hit the nail on the head" with this blog, Angie. And, for us talkers, this was just what we needed to hear. That little tongue can get us in more trouble than we ever dreamed, and you can never take back what has been said. I surely have wanted to sometimes. Thanks for such a wonderful reminder to "shut up and listen"....to put it another way.
    Love you, Twylia

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good word, as always. The girls and I are studying James this year and I think this is one of my favorite passages from the book. I like the rest to..."slow to anger". Thanks for always being a good listener.

    ReplyDelete