Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Rods

     A friend of mine has a grandaughter who is undergoing back surgery today. She is only about 6 yrs old. They are putting a titanium rod in to help correct her scoliosis. Pray for her today, her name is Angela too.
     I can sympathize with her because I too had scoliosis and back surgery. The summer between 9th and 10th grade, I went to the Leatherman Spine Center in Louisville, KY to have two rods fused to my spine to straighten it. I only remember bits and pieces of that time, which is a blessing. I recall the fear of the pre-op blood work and subsequently passing out. I remember reassuring my dad pre-surgery that I was going to be fine no matter what. I remember waking up in the recovery or ICU area? and banging the side rail for some pain medicine, not quietly either. My parents came in to see me and I was awake long enough to know they were there. [Later I saw the picture they took of me, scary is an understatement.] Have you seen Shirley McClaine in 'Terms of Endearment' screaming at nurses to give her daughter pain medicine? Well my mom didn't scream but there was a close reenactment of that scene at some point during my stay. I can't recall if I was there 1 or 2 weeks. We borrowed a friend's full size van to drive home because I had to lay flat. My dad and somebody carried me on a sheet into the house. That summer was one full of recovery and rehab. My surgery was a success and have had no problems since. Mercy and grace carried me thru it.
     I don't know what God's plan for Angela is today but I know He has one, and its for her good.

1 comment: