Sunday, July 22, 2018

Rest in the Lord ...by Guest-writer Jim Ehrhard





Jim Ehrhard is a missionary who is currently serving in the Ukraine with his wife and two young daughters.  He is a former pastor at Bible Church of Cabot and Cornerstone Bible Fellowship.  He is a professor at the Kyiv Theological Seminary and teaching others in the way of the Lord.  He is a blessing to many.

The following is from his latest update and I wanted to share it because I know it is applicable to my life and probably to yours as well.  Thanks Jim!





Probably nothing is more difficult for me than learning to rest. Even when I take a vacation,
it takes me a few days to slow down and stop thinking about the things I need to get done!
This is doubly true spiritually. If you ask me, “What is the hardest thing for you spiritually?”
I would answer, “Learning to rest in the Lord.” I think most other believers would say the
same. While the Bible is full of admonitions to rest in the Lord, it is the one area we struggle
the most with. So, I’m learning to rest – but it is the hardest thing for me to do!
Rest in the Lord! …
Well, how can we rest in the Lord?
First, rest comes when we have done all that the Lord asks of us. Rest is not merely passive;
it comes when we know we have done all the Father asks. Jesus had this perfect rest
(John 8:29). We must first do all He has commanded us to do and then we can enter into
His rest. Psalm 37:3 reminds us, “Rest in the Lord and do good.” Not merely rest – but do
good. This is true even for spiritual warfare. Ephesians 6:13 says, “after you have done
everything, stand.” In other words, we can only truly rest in the Lord, standing against the
enemy, when we have done all He asks of us. A disobedient spirit keeps us from rest as well
as from spiritual protection. Proverbs 19:23 says, “The fear of the Lord leads to life; then one
rests content, untouched by trouble.” True rest begins when we have done all the Lord
commands. There is no peace or rest for the disobedient soul!
Second, “cast your cares on Him, for He cares for you!” (1 Peter 5:7). Also, Psalm 46:10 tells
us to “cease striving and know that I am God.” Rest comes when we do all He has called us to
do, and then we put everything in His hands and trust Him for the outcome. We cease
striving.
Third, to rest, we must trust the sovereignty of God. On the Sabbath day, the Israelites were
told not to gather any manna. They were to gather a double portion on Friday and to trust
that God’s provision would be enough. We cannot rest unless we learn the secret of
contentment (Philippians 4:12). We learn to be contented with what a sovereign God has
provided for us.
But God’s desire for us in not only spiritual rest, but physical rest. Jesus told His disciples,
“Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest” (Mark 6:30-32).
Even in creation, God rested on the seventh day as a pattern for man (Genesis 2:2-3;
Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus corrected the Pharisees when he reminded them, “The Sabbath was
made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27). Rest refreshes us so that we are able
to be ready to serve the Lord another day.
Resting in the Lord is definitely the hardest part of the Christian life! It is far easier to be
active in ministry than to take time to rest. I’m learning, and I’m trying to learn to rest in the
Lord, not just for my physical health, but for everything in life. It’s a lesson easier to teach
than to live! I’m learning ….

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Angie. Great encouragement to us who think that resting in any way is laziness. love, love, love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good advice. I am one of those that run ahead with ideas much faster than my body can move. When I'm typing on a story for a book, I skip words and part of a thought because my fingers can not keep up, but hopefully, I edit out the skips. Resting is often harder than moving.

    I am a few days behind on my daily bible readings--today I will try to rest and catch up.

    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one but hard to do. I don’t think I know how to rest unless I am physically out.
    aunt robbie

    ReplyDelete